Help! Unemployed

Dan Moniz dnm at pobox.com
Mon Aug 13 06:50:11 UTC 2001

>--On Sunday, August 12, 2001 10:02 PM -0400 "Andrew C. Greenberg"
><werdna at mucow.com> wrote:
>
>>On Sunday, August 12, 2001, at 09:21 PM, Richard A. O'Keefe wrote:
>>
>>>It's a bit like Fortran.  Anyone who spells it "FORTRAN" these days
>>>almost certainly hasn't bothered keeping up with the modern standards.
>>
>>I'll own up to ignorance on this.  When did FORTRAN become Fortran?
>
>See: http://www.fortran.com/fortran/FAQ/gene.html#1.1.0

[snip]

>>  Is
>>that a well-settled convention now?
>
>I think so. LISP is now Lisp. Hmm. Was Forth ever FORTH?
>
>>Has BASIC become Basic as well?
>
>I'd say so. There's an interesting bit further down the page in the FAQ:

[snip]

As an alternate explanation, I would argue that in the case of all
the languages mentioned, at the time of their creation, acronym or
no, all of them were originally spelled in uppercase if only due to
the lack of mixed case keyboards and keymaps.

--
Dan Moniz <dnm at pobox.com> [http://www.pobox.com/~dnm/]