Help! Unemployed

Andrew P. Black black at cse.ogi.edu
Mon Aug 13 20:59:38 UTC 2001

There are a number of comments in this thread that remind me of Mark
Twain's famous aphorism:  "It's not what we don't know that hurts us,
it's what we know for certain that just ain't so".

<soapbox on>

First, on acronyms and initialisms.  Both are made up of the initial
letters of words.  The Oxford Modern English Dictionary gives Ernie,
laser and Nato as examples of acronyms, capitalized just in the way
that I have shown.  (Ernie, the Electronic Random Number Indicator
Equipment, selected the winners in a weekly British government
sponsored "investment" lottery.  I'm still waiting for my number to
come up ...)  Clearly, just because something is an acronym does not
imply that it must be written in all caps.  The difference between
acronym and initialism is that an acronym is intended to be
pronounced as a word, whereas an initialism is intended to be
pronounced as a sequence of letters.  So, BBC and DCE are initialisms.

Hence, Algol, Fortran and Lisp are not acronyms -- they are invented
words, inspired respectively by Algorithmic Language, Formula
Translation, and List Processing.  They were written in all capitals
by their originators, but the modern practice is capitalize them, and
not to give these languages a distinction that we deny to Roosevelt
or Churchill.

Second, on converting C++ programmers to Smalltalk.  The difficulty
is that C++ programmers often believe that they know how to do
Object-oriented programming., and are thus resistant to learning.  A
child who has no such illusions is often easier to teach.

Third, on Bertrand Meyer's book.  It doesn't worry me in the
slightest that Bertrand doesn't know some detail about Algol 68.  He
knows a lot about good OO design, and that makes his books very
worthwhile.  But id does bother me a lot that rather than saying "I
don't know", or better still, finding out, he would write something
that is incorrect.  I would be interested in seeing his "glaring
errors about Algol 68 and ... other languages"

<Soapbox off>