ARM woes (follow-up)

Kevin Fisher kgf at golden.net
Tue Aug 14 02:55:28 UTC 2001

Well, before I fell asleep I had a small revelation that unclouded my
build problem somewhat.

The sudden reappearance of the register problem is due to the configure
script (shame on me for not using VMMaker).  To explain a little:

I use the handhelds.org build machines.  There are six of them, all NFS
mounting the same build directory.  Each runs different configurations
of libraries, compilers and whatnot.  Due to some nasty GLIBC clash between
certain build machines and my iPaq, I can't build with GCC 2.95.3..I have
to use GCC 2.95.1.

Well, it turns out that the 2.95.1 machines do something to confuse the
configure script...if I run configure on the 2.95.3 build machine and then
build on the 2.95.1 machine, everything works.  After retracing my steps
in my mind it seems that I've always done this (except for today, of course).

I wouldn't say that there's a bug in the configure script.  The older
2.95.1 build machines aren't really Debian, they are a homegrown crossbreed
of Debian and Redhat.  The newer machines are Debian and configure works
fine there.

Oh well, mystery solved (somewhat).  Next time I use VMMaker. :)