Stability of Squeak

Scott A Crosby crosby at qwes.math.cmu.edu
Tue Aug 14 03:09:08 UTC 2001

On Mon, 13 Aug 2001, Andrew C. Greenberg wrote:

> As noted elsewhere, few others have shared your experiences.  Over
> several years of fairly brutal beating on a variety of platoforms, I
> have found it mostly bulletproof except when I was hacking the VM.  My
> powerbook behaves just fine in my hands, by the way.
>
> A useful bit of feedback would be to identify the version, platform and
> VM number you were using.

Well, lets see, my chat-code (still under refinement) seems to pretty
reliably cause a variety of bugs and problems with squeak when I login
about 5 times and paste about 10,000 lines each. I've gotten three
different bugs, including the crash bug reported a couple of days ago,
another crash bug apparently from trashed methodcontexts and/or the weak
finalization process, which comes up when I bring up a processbrowser, and
an emergency backtrace, three fatal bugs out of 4 attempts to benchmark.

Its not been fun, but I guess I've been brutally beating it where its not
been brutally beat before.

I'll put it up soon and let everyone beat up on their own squeak images.

Scott