Latest info on JITter performance

Marcus Denker marcus at ira.uka.de
Tue Aug 14 09:07:34 UTC 2001

On Sat, Jul 28, 2001 at 12:55:01AM -0700, Eric Arseneau wrote:
> Can anyone point me to information, or provide information, on the
> performance gains achieved by doing the dynamic translation with Squeak ?  I
> would like to know some basics on the technique and how much performance was
> actually gained by doing it.

Sorry for not answering earlier... we really need to have some good
documentation for the Jitter.

There is a paper about J3 by Ian:
http://www-sor.inria.fr/~piumarta/squeak/unix/zip/j3-2.6.0/doc/j3/
Warning: it´s somewhat out of date, but it can give some good hints
about the overall architecture...

Performance:

interp:     '43805612 bytecodes/sec; 1325959 sends/sec'
J3:        '135665076 bytecodes/sec; 8100691 sends/sec'
              3.1                     6.11

Mac G4/450 Mhz.

Of course, you won´t see such a speed-up in real-world code.
Squeak spends *much* time in primitives. Dan´s "macroBenchmarks"
show a speedup of about a factor 2.

      Marcus