Perceived Crash (was: Stability of Sqeuak)

robin robin at sublime.org
Wed Aug 15 13:39:36 UTC 2001

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: robin
  To: squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org
  Sent: Wednesday, August 15, 2001 2:00 PM
  Subject: Perceived Crash (was: Stability of Sqeuak)

[snip]

  I've tried "ctrl-alt-." patiently several times to no avail. Is this the correct sequence?
ok - I've now discovered the correct sequence: "alt-." ...
  Closing the window doesn't bring up the "close without saving" dialogue - instead the windows "Program is not responding, end anyway" comes up.

  Is there a way I could have single stepped into this to investigate myself?  My speculation is that the graph of object references is very large, or circular (and this is unhandled?). But that's just guesswork.
And I now see that having interrupted it with the 'break' key sequence, I sensibly get a debugger.  I'm not fluent enough to read exactly what's going on, but by getting 'fullstack' in the debugger, increasing the size of the top pane, and standing well back, I see that there's a repetitive pattern on the stack.  My guess - it's getting caught cycling round a loop in the object graph.  If it was just that the graph was large, I'd expect the stack to be deep, but not so obviously repetitive.  Anyway - just a guess.

Please note - I'm not calling this a bug.
  I hope that gives people enough to go on if they're interested.

  -Robin