[FIX][BUG] [CRASH] Squeak3.1a-4164 : Socket code blows up destroying sockets.

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Tue Aug 14 04:29:02 UTC 2001

> The image starts up, displays a window, and refreshes the GUI display and
> runs for about a second, but as soon as it hits the network reader loop,
> it goes BOOM and gives the above stacktrace. The emergency-interrupt key
> does pop up a debug dialog box in the second that the image runs.

I've seen this one.  It seems to work to adjust the first line of
socketValid() to this:

  if ((s != 0) && (thisNetSession != 0) && (s->privateSocketPtr != 0) &&
(s->sessionID == thisNetSession))

This function is in sqXWindow.c.  In the stock version, there is no
check for thisNetSession possibly being 0.

If you are loathe to recompile a VM, it also works to create a file
stating "Socket initializeNetwork", and to start squeak with that file
mentioned on the command line.  But, the above is better.  I'll update
my patches page with it.

-Lex