[Modules] Name space semantics was: Re: Some of my thoughts

Joerg Beekmann jbeekmann at attglobal.net
Thu Aug 16 13:53:46 UTC 2001

As I see it there are 3 ways to deal with package based extensions (methods considered to be part of a package and only
that package:
1. Manage the source only. This is how extensions are handled in Envy. Basically when a package is loaded extensions to
existing classes are added. The advantage is simplicity. The disadvantage is the potential for conflict. But this may
not be so large?

2. Associate a collection of compiled methods extending classes with package objects. Upon doesNotUnderstand look
through the packages associated with the context of the running method for an extenstion. This is still reasonably
simple but invocations of extensions will be MUCH slower than standard method invocations.

3. Create multiple caches at the VM level. This is the most complex option and will have a significant space impact.

I waver between 1 and 2. One reason 2 (or 3) are nice, other than the obvious, is this feature will allow us to create a
package mechanism that supports loading multiple versions of the same package without conflict.

Joerg