[Modules] Components or Modules??

Göran Hultgren gohu at rocketmail.com
Fri Aug 17 08:24:31 UTC 2001

Hi all!

--- Allen Wirfs-Brock <Allen_Wirfs-Brock at Instantiations.com> wrote:
[MEGASNIP of very good stuff]
> other.  (Here is my first crack assignment based upon limited
> visibility.  Component systems: Environments, OASIS, (I don't really know
> enough about either but this is my impression) , Pope's selector ideas.
> Module systems: Pelrine's work, change sets). My impression is that people

Yes, the discussion has definitely mixed these two different areas and I think that we should
perhaps focus on the sourcemanagement side of it first. But if I am not totally off I would have
guessed that OASIS should be placed among the module systems - it's about source code analysis,
type inference, interface detection etc. etc., or did I get the wrong impression when I looked at
it?

[SNIP]
> So here's my strawman position: Squeaks needs both a module architecture
> and a component architecture. They should be designed to be complementary
> to each other. The module system should stick to development time
> issues.  The component system should stick to runtime issues. Globally,
> some people should be thinking about how to slice the image into components
> and modules.

Amen.

regards, Göran

=====
Göran Hultgren, goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
GSM: +46 70 3933950, http://www.bluefish.se
"Department of Redundancy department." -- ThinkGeek