Amazon.com

Jarvis, Robert P. (Contingent) Jarvisb at timken.com
Fri Aug 17 12:30:47 UTC 2001

> From: Jeff Szuhay [mailto:jeff at szuhay.org]
> Coincidentally, I rarely buy books at Amazon.com any more.

I largely gave up on Amazon when I found them selling above retail on some
items, and raising their prices after I'd examined a product one or twice on
their site.  I'm not interested in being the target of their "adaptive
pricing" strategy.  However, Amazon is one of the few on-line bookstores
that will take pre-orders, and in this case pre-ordering saved quite a few
bucks (pre-ordered at 26.95, now selling at Amazon for $45, elsewhere for
34.50 (Bookpool - but they say they're out of stock)).  FWIW I use Best Web
Buys (http://www.bestwebbuys.com/) to do comparison pricing between the
various bookstores.  Most of the time Books-A-Million (http://www.bamm.com)
offers the best prices *if* you pay $5 to join their Millionaire's Club.
Usually I don't like "clubs" or the like but in this case the cost is
reasonable, and it saves you 10% on your purchases.  I covered the five buck
"club membership" on my first order.  Not an employee/relative/etc, just a
satisfied customer.  :-)

Bob Jarvis
Compuware @ Timken