[Modules] The "Undo" Scenario (was Re: Components or Modules??)

Bijan Parsia bparsia at email.unc.edu
Fri Aug 17 16:04:55 UTC 2001

On Thu, 16 Aug 2001, Robert M. Lefkowitz wrote:
[snip]
> I agree that the image is a good thing.  The pain that I feel when I
> complain about the "lack of modularity" is related to the
> ability to UNDO.  If I file in a ChangeSet, and find that it did
> something obnoxious (like redefine Set>>union: -- an actual example) I
> would like to UNDO that
> module/component/experiment/heap-of-code .  People who live in a
[snip]

I was *just* thinking of this scenario when I read your note.

I completely agree.

The big time version of this that comes to *my* mind is SuperSwiki. I'd
love to be able to *Dump* projects as easily as loading them.

This is, of course, the famous "Sandbox" situation. Which, I expect, is
very different from most of the others.

A runnable CodeBrowser (aka "Oasis") would be very nice in the near
future.

Actually, *just* being able to load/clean out projects would be a
wonderful boon. Even if it required certain restrictions (i.e., you
couldn't have certain modifications, etc.)...it would be nice to know that
a project was "sandbox safe" (i.e., easy to dump) vs. "big ole deep
change". Espeically as some superswiki projects are just books...

...of course "just books" is weird, espeically when you're explicating
code. Browsers can end up pointing to different things in different
systems.

So being able to dump *everything* I need into a project would be good,
too. Projects as self-containable mini-images :)

Cheers,
Bijan Parsia.