Killer Squeak App?

Lawson English english7 at mindspring.com
Sun Aug 19 12:09:31 UTC 2001

For my son's birthday I bought him a 6-month subscription to the EverQuest
online adventure game. If you haven't played it, then I suggest that you
obtain a copy and try it -it is VERY kool and quite cheap ($10 per copy +
$10/month online fees, with the first month free).

It is so cool that I think it could be the "killer" app for Squeak if a
limited client/server Squeak implementation could be devised and made part
of the default image or at least available as a standard module.

EverQuest is a first-person-shooter graphical MUD with upwards of 1,000
players online simultaneously. The interactions are overwhelmingly complex
and quite fun.

In addition to the "wow" factor of letting every kid host his/her own baby
graphical MUD, a Squeak-based implementation would allow all sorts of
collaboration between researchers, teachers, students, etc. Sorta a
graphical realtime Swiki.

Just a thought.

--
The real romance is out ahead and yet to
come. The computer revolution hasn't started yet. Don't be misled by