[Modules] Components or Modules??

Lawson English english7 at mindspring.com
Sun Aug 19 22:34:45 UTC 2001

on 8/16/01 5:58 PM, Bijan Parsia at bparsia at email.unc.edu wrote:

> I wish to speak for the all encompassing, monolithic image. It's been
> pretty good to me, and good to Smalltalk (and similar systems).
>
> Yes yes yes, shrinking is a pain. Etc. etc. etc. I'm with everyone.
>
> But there's something *golden* about having a 4 file install (vm, image,
> sources, and changes). Wrestingly with VisualWorks packages and paths tends
> to make me grumpy. Python is way worse. SWI-Prolog (the other system I've
> been dorking with) is somewhat better, if just because it's less elaborate
> (at least, my install is).

What's wrong with having a simple database of components/modules that you
can selectively install via a simple dialog box during the initial install
process?

Default Install (all) ()
Minimal Install       ()
Custom Install        ()

That way, you get the advantage of a monolithic image with the flexibility
of the component/module architecture.

--
The real romance is out ahead and yet to
come. The computer revolution hasn't started yet. Don't be misled by