VMMaker UI work; help needed

Karl Ramberg karl.ramberg at chello.se
Sun Aug 19 17:59:19 UTC 2001

Tim Rowledge wrote:

> I'm trying to build a little UI for theVMMaker. Not surprisingly given
> how little time I've spent on Morphic stuff I have precious little idea
> of what I'm doing.
>
> What I want is a list of a ll my possible modules with some way to
> choose don't-build/internal/external for each one. I also think it would
> be useful to have a super-chooser tyo say _all_ internal/ external etc;
> this would set all modules as chosen but you should be able to then
> alter individual modules after that. Since VMMaker can save and read
> configurations, I'll need the choice widgets to be able to be set to the
> state read from the VMMaker and to be updated when other things change.
>
> I've found loads - dozens, I'm sure - of assorted buttony things as well
> as DropDownMenuButtons etc, but can't quite persuade myself that any of
> them are persuadable to my needs. Many are nearly right... I know I
> could add yet another subclass but it really seems like somebody must
> have already written what I need and I hate duplicating effort. Pointers
> to good candidates appreciated.
>
> At least I've been able to work out enought layout stuff to do the basic
> list-of-thingies part! Mind you, I need to put it in a scroller sometime.

My first suggestion would be to make something in the line of a dual
change sorter.
Two pluggable lists next to each other, one for external and one for internal.
Since they support drag and drop, and othere protocols and have
scrollbars support etc it would be the easiest starting point, I would guess.
Karl