[updates] 88 (count 'em) for 3.1 alpha

Hannes Hirzel hirzel at spw.unizh.ch
Mon Aug 20 07:05:11 UTC 2001

Hi

I update several images. In the  first image I check the preference
setting 'updateSavesFile', connect to the Internet and run

Utilities updateFromServer.

The updates are then fetched from the server, filed in and saved as
well in a 'updates' directory. I then copy this directory into the
directory of other images and evaluate (without an Internet
connection)

Utilities applyUpdatesFromDisk

This worked fine for earlier batches of updates.
This time the following changesets gave error messages, because the
numbers
are duplicated. As a workaround I renamed one of each pair and filed them
in later manually.

4189OopsSetFix-tk.cs
4189ReframeHandleFix-ar.cs

4190OopsSetFix-tk.cs
4190PriorityNames-ar.cs

4192OopsSetFix-tk.cs
4192ExpandPriorityRange-ar.cs

Probably the best fix will be to just give three of them a new id.

Thanks to all who contributed for this round of interesting updates. I
especially like the new object tool (World menu -> objects). The new
message names tool is great as well. It emphasizes the analogy:
Classes correspond to nouns which are dealt with the system browser and
methods correspond to verbs that can be conveniently searched and edited
systematically with the message names tool.

Cheers
Hannes Hirzel

P.S. An interesting expression is
ChangeSorter deleteChangeSetsNumberedLowerThan: 4261.

It frees up several megabytes in your images. But for inspecting
what has happened in the update stream it is convenient to keep
the changesets for some time.