Window frames for 4261

Jim Benson jb at speed.net
Mon Aug 20 14:36:48 UTC 2001

Stefan,

As a preface, this 'look' is a throwaway, just something to get the
implementation up and running rather than a 'real' look.

> I like the improved look.  I've some suggestion though.
>
> The rounded corners aren't drawn correctly.  If you change the border
color
> to black, the correct rounded frame is drawn.

Which border? This all appears draws correctly on my setup. Needless to say,
I've made a lot of changes here in the last couple of days, I may have
overlooked something trying to reintegrate it into the image ;-)

> It's IMHO difficult to tell want is the current window.  The 3D border
> effect is nearly invisible for too many colors.

You're right. This seems very dependent upon what type of setup you're
using. As an example, this is pretty much useless on a laptop because the
colors tend to wash out.

> I'd like to change the title bar button colors to something other than
> blue.  Actually, I'd like to make the system to look like Luna (I don't
> want to install Windows XP but want to have its look :-)

If I continue to develop this code, a better default look could probably be
developed. Of course, the whole point is that you can develop different
window frame looks, without changing the base image, or relying on someone
elses default look. The Luna theme is trivial to build using this code if
you have the artwork. As you know, I've implemented this before, but I
cheated and lifted the artwork from someone elses theme. If we get the
blessings to use someones' artwork, or someone generates their own from the
XP distribution, I would be happy to build one for you as an example how to.

> I think, the title text isn't vertically centered.

That's true. I hadn't worked on the titles for this code for reals yet, that
was to be the last part of the project. In general, I need to define a
policy for setting title text. This includes title placement in a bounds
rectangle, justification, title string color, clipping rectangle, etc.

Thanks for looking at the code.

Jim