[ENH]Html table (very crude version)

John Hinsley jhinsley at telinco.co.uk
Mon Aug 20 14:22:45 UTC 2001

Karl Ramberg wrote:

> I like to torture my self so I decided to add tables to
> the html parser, so Scamper would do more justice to all
> those wonderful web pages out there.
> A few days later and here is what I got so far.
> This table version takes no regards to the html attributes
> the table has, it just puts up some morphs and tries to
> lay out the stuff inside the table.
> A gif of the heading table at minnow is attached.
> I would love to get some feedback to how to proceed and
> encouragement if this is a worth while PITA.

Sorry for the .html reply: Netscape seems to believe that a html message needs
a html answer (or I'll crash, so there!).

I do think this is really, really, important for Scamper, but I'm not sure this
is the way to do it: still it's early days, eh?  (And I know nuffink!)

Two things come to mind very early on:

Why is the background green? I mean, whatever the background really is on the
html page, your table as morphs always come out as green.

People often put links within tables. Although they'll work in standard Scamper
mode, they are stone dead with the change set.

The alignment is sometimes wierd (I guess it's not reading the tags, but the
text, and aligning  to suit the text.). But it'll also do wierd alignment stuff
with images (I can send you some examples off list if you like).

BTW, some of my most complex tables are generated as .php (through a MySQL
database): can anyone suggest a quick tweak to convince Scamper (or the HTML
Parser) to treat .php as .html? These would give a changeset a real workout!

But I really do think this stuff is worthwhile.

Cheers

John

--
Can't cope anymore? Desperate for help?
Join the 12 step program for those who yearn to give up Microsoft: