[ENH] [Celeste] FilterCeleste

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Mon Aug 20 04:07:43 UTC 2001

I think Celeste enthusiasts will be interested in the combination of the
previous changeset ("LargeLists") and this one.  Or at least, I hope so.
 :)  The basic demo is a simple one: do "open email reader", increase
your maximum messages displayed to 20,000 or so, remove the single
filter from the top left pane, and observe that it's actually *faster*
now to view the entire mail database than it is to view just those in
the 'new' category.

Besides the speed change is something more fundamental, however.
Instead of Celeste having a current category, a subject filter, a
participant filter, and a custom filter, it now simply has a list of
filters.  The main benefit is that you can now have more than one
subject filter and more than one participant filter active at once.
Besides that, it just seems cleaner somehow.

What do you guys think?  I think this is cool, but mostly I want to get
in sync with the other Celeste folks.  If this looks good, I'll bump
everything up from FilteringCeleste  into regular Celeste.  And I'll
make custom filters work again with it....

Lex Spoon

from preamble:

"Change Set:		FilterCeleste
Date:			9 May 2001
Author:			Lex Spoon

A version of Celeste where users browse by adding arbitrary filters"!