[Modules] Components or Modules??

Dan Moniz dnm at pobox.com
Mon Aug 20 23:46:50 UTC 2001

[snip]

>So I'm arguing that the core functionality -- the definition of a
>Module (and/or component) -- is a unit of Stuff that I can remove.
>Currently that means Class  or Category .    But ChangeSet does NOT
>meet this definition of Module.

(Okay, I'm speculating wildly here...)

But ChangeSets _could_, couldn't they, with some modification to the
way they work?

I'm imagining that when you file in a ChangeSet (let's say Foo.cs)
into your image (Bar.image), your image is writing out information to
it's Bar.changes file that reflect the things Foo.cs is doing to your
image. Then, to back out, you could use a currently fictional "Undo"
feature which would allow you to back up steps as recorded in
Bar.changes

This may necessitate modifications to userland tools to deal with
.changes file, and perhaps some modification to the information
and/or format of information stored in .changes files, but I don't
think it would be too drastic and I don't think it would have much
with the implementation of ChangeSets themselves.

>r0ml

[snip]

--
Dan Moniz <dnm at pobox.com> [http://www.pobox.com/~dnm/]