RefrigeratorMagnets

Dan Ingalls Dan at SqueakLand.org
Tue Aug 21 01:33:37 UTC 2001

Hi, Ned -

I just had an idea for your RefrigeratorMagnets for 4-year-olds (I have one, or rather he has me ;-).

First we make up single-letter versions, like...

	NCRefrigeratorMagnet makeFromString:
		(String streamContents: [:s |
			($a to: $z) do: [:c | s nextPut: c; space]])

Then we notice whenever they are placed close enough to make a word.  If so, we look it up in a lexicon (I have one as part of an anagram program in Squeak).  If it's a word, we put a color border around it and run it through Speaker bigMan say:.

The question I have is, have you done any refinements on this?  In my version, when I try to put the magnets together, they sometimes come together, but usually scoot one or two pixels apart.  I figure I could track this down, but I thought I'd ask first.

Thanks
	- Dan