[Modules] Components or Modules??

Jecel Assumpcao Jr jecel at merlintec.com
Tue Aug 21 17:42:17 UTC 2001

On Tuesday 21 August 2001 08:54, John Sarkela wrote:
> > Can we have both? If not, what do each of us want?
> > -- Jecel
>
> There certainly is an existence proof. Most VSE developers never new
> that they were using a declarative implementation of the Smalltalk
> development tools. When coding in debuggers or traditional browsers,
> everything looked and behaved exactly the same way. From an OO point
> of view, if the behavior is indistinguishable then there is no
> effective distinction.

How about doing projects like those at SqueakLand.org? With objects
drawn by hand executing scripts built by drag-n-drop of tiles?

I could be totally wrong about VSE, but my guess is that those
programmers happened to have a view of Smalltalk that matched it
(browsers and debuggers) and so showed the right subset of behavior. We
are so good at limiting ourselves to "avoid falling over the edge",
which is why we never do a good job of testing our own software.

-- Jecel