Copying past messages [was Re: LindaTalk]

Withers, Robert rwithers at quallaby.com
Thu Aug 23 17:03:41 UTC 2001

Dan wrote:

> That said, I'd like to suggest that we refrain from copying
> large portions of the entire discussion history with each new
> message.  This leads to an N-squared explosion of mail
> traffic which, for folks using phone lines, could be a reason
> to have to drop off the list.

Dan, you are absolutely right.  My apologies for not being a good citizen.
I am causing everyone to suffer from supersized emails and an html habit I
can't seem to kick.  I swear, I should just use Celeste instead of Outlook.
I am trying plain text again for this message.

We are already over a 1000 this month again.  It must be all the discussion
about MS yanking the EMBED tag.  :)   That plus the message size can be
overwhelming.

[On Linda: I would point out that I get about 200k matches a second, which
may be slow and too general for a Scheduler.  I think that a type restricted
Tuple might increase match performance.  I will be able to post my work by
Monday]

- Rob