[Modules] From here to there -- PS

Dan Ingalls Dan at SqueakLand.org
Fri Aug 24 16:56:40 UTC 2001

>Les, I don't think you need anything this deep.  I think it would suffice to put this info in the nascent modules.  It would not be hard to keep it up to date with a little hook in Behavior>>compile, and it wouldn't be all that hard to sweep the system again to bring things back in line until we have it all right.  We'll be doing this anyway while we juggle things around into a nice factoring.

Just as a PS, there is already code in the image that makes a reasonable attempt at this, even without knowing any module structure.  If you run

	Smalltalk reportClassAndMethodRemovalsFor:
		#(Celeste Scamper MailMessage)

you will see that it notices that some 61 other classes are only referred to from these three classes (mostly the HTML classes).  More to the point, it also discovers 152 messages that are no longer sent to other classes, in the absence of these three classes.  With a bit of futzing around, this would give us a first go at methods that belong in foreign modules.

Going a bit further, there is a humungus cruncher in

	Smalltalk computeImageSegmentation

that uses the above scheme along with lots of ad-hoc information to break the Squeak image down into a bunch of image segments for easier downloading.  We're not actually using it but, again, there is code here that, in a day or two, could put some reasonable factoring in place.

	- Dan