[Squeak Installer] The Compiler, The Final Frontier(?)

PhiHo Hoang phiho.hoang at home.com
Sat Aug 25 07:34:24 UTC 2001

Hi List,

    I wrote:

>     This new plugin, for now, is named 'ModManPlugin' (Module Manager). Of
> course this is only a place holder for the true Module Manager. I hope at
> some stage, with help from the list, this plugin will be able to look for,
> instead of a pre-built image, the modules (Smalltalk source files) whether
> on the local file system or on the internet (via http/ftp ), pass them to
> the compiler, get back the result from the compiler, building up an image
> (?) in memory......prepare the scene for interpret().

    The missing piece in this picture is the compiler. Browsing through
'interp.c' I couldn't find much code for the compiler in there. The
'System-Compiler' category, on the other hand has a lot.

    Is it true that the Squeak compiler is implemented in Squeak only, there
is no plugin ? Is it because there is no need for speed in compiling ? Or is
it impossible to implement the compiler outside of the image ?

    I need a compiler outside of the Squeak image for bootstrapping purpose.
Is there a mechanism to translate the 'System-Compiler' category into a
plugin ? If not, how else can I get a standalone Squeak compiler from the
available Squeak codes ?

    Thanks for your help.

    Cheers,

    PhiHo