getting other morphs in the Objects Morph thingy

Scott Wallace scott at squeakland.org
Sat Aug 25 03:07:01 UTC 2001

Hi, John,

The new Objects tool *does* automatically include morph types newly
added by updates and other fileins.  It is however intentionally more
selective about which morphs it includes.

Well more than half of the morphs offered in the classic "new morph
menu" are *not viable* -- they cannot stand alone; some of them will
hang the system if you try to launch them; others will bafflingly try
to fire up the network; others put up surprising modal dialogs;
others will drop you into debuggers; others will be present but
invisible and very hard to get rid of, etc.

In contrast, to get a morph type included in the Objects tool, the
morph class itself must proactively declare that it wishes to be
included, and must provide a minimal set of information -- at least a
name by which it should be known, a list of categories under which it
should be filed, and a help-string.  It does this by implementing one
method, #descriptionForPartsBin.

So just include an implementation of method #descriptionForPartsBin
on the class side of the morph class you've implemented, and the
morph will thenceforth automatically show up in the Objects tool.
Look at implementors of that method and the pattern will be obvious.

For more info, consult the preamble to update #4248objectsTool-sw.

With the first release of the Objects tool, only about sixty of the
most popular morph classes declare their interest in being seen in
it.  As you run across existing Morph subclass that are not yet
Objects-Tool-enabled but which you think *should* be, please
formulate and submit implementations of #descriptionForPartsBin for
them.  The goal here is that all "viable" morphs that are able to
stand alone should appear in Objects, and all other morphs should not.

Hope this helps,

  -- Scott