Biosqueak?

Heiko Schaefer heiko.schaefer at swissonline.ch
Sat Aug 25 15:52:32 UTC 2001

>> Before I get myself in too deep, has ne1 contemplated developing a Biosqueak
>> bioinformatics toolkit to join in the fun with Bioperl
>> (http://bioperl.org/), Biopython (http://biopython.org/), Bioruby
>> (http://bioruby.org/), Biojava (http://biojava.org/), etc.?
>
>AFAIK, no such work has been done with Squeak.  However, I'd be interested
>in helping out!  I'm an aspiring ecologist, and have done some research
>this summer, an would love to to continue in this synthesis of biology
>and practical CS...
>
>Aaron

I have some experience in molecular simulations i.e. Monte Carlo and
Molecular Dynamics simulations of proteins in solution (on an atomistic
level). I could probably contribute and would be happy to do so.

This is on the number crunching side of 'bioinformatics' and unfortunately
I feel that little emphasis has been given so far on numerical work with
squeak. I currently try to use squeak as a prototyping tool for numerical
work and find the floating point performance to be a real problem.
Maybe a project like 'Biosqueak' could give more weight to performance
issues and thus help in general!

Heiko