[newbie] my setup, updating

John Hinsley jhinsley at telinco.co.uk
Mon Aug 27 02:31:55 UTC 2001

Simon Michael wrote:

> my setup
> --------
> P233 laptop, 96M ram, debian gnu/linux.

What window manager are you using? I know that on a P333 with 128Mb I
can run Squeak at -memory 60m without getting into problems (any more
and it'll compete with KDE and whatever else I have running and slow
down!).

//snipped//

> (*) better advice from the more experienced always welcome

Ahem... well, I can't say for sure that this is better, but I've now
switched from Ian's sources to Lex's (which is by no means to demean
Ian's efforts -- Lex's stuff is, essentially, Ian's stuff with extra
tweaks and bugfixes worked in) they're at:

http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/uploads/298/Squeak-lex.tgz

The build process is the same.

HTH a bit

Cheers

John

--
Can't cope anymore? Desperate for help?
Join the 12 step program for those who yearn to give up Microsoft: