[newbie] new look, scrollbars, mouse wheel, diff, searching

Doug Way dway at riskmetrics.com
Mon Aug 27 02:43:16 UTC 2001

On Sunday, August 26, 2001, at 09:41 PM, Simon Michael wrote:

> scrollbars
> ----------
> As usual, dithered around with the scrollbar preferences. Every time I
> do this, each time with a little less conviction. I have come to like
> the popup scrollbars; tried putting them on the right; this does not
> currently work because mousing over to the scrollbar I cross a
> one-pixel gap and the scrollbar disappears. Capitulated to the default
> settings.

(This is pretty much the only set of preferences for which I have not
capitulated to the default. :) )

> diff
> ----
> I have one changeset of interest from the old discarded images (some
> progress bar enhancements). I want to file it in and work on it a bit
> more, but also to keep things clean, so first I browse the code
> without actually loading it, via FileList's more..  menu.
>
> Problem: diffing the changeset with the current code shows large
> difference regions apparently due to pretty printing, making it hard
> to pinpoint the changes that I made back then. Not sure exactly how
> this comes about.
>
> ? question: what's the best way to avoid spurious pretty-print diffs ?
> Pointers to past discussion/faqs also appreciated.

Ah, there is a preference that handles this exact thing.  See
diffsWithPrettyPrint under the Browsing group of prefs.

A search in the preferences dialog for "diff" or similar would have
found it, although I admit that you wouldn't have necessarily thought to
look in preferences.

> searching
> ---------
> Searched the squeak wiki/mailing list/faq for info on the above, no
> luck. Found that the searchable mailing list archive (not the
> yahoogroups one) stalls in my browser, though I can squeeze out a few
> results if I let it run then press stop. Search expression syntax
> unclear here and apparently nonexistent at yahoogroups, so tried
> Google. Yes!! They seem to have indexed both the yahoo archive and the
> swiki, so this should be my new first stop for squeak answers.  Must
> figure out google's host-specifying syntax again, maybe make some
> custom search forms.

Hey, I guess I never noticed that with Google... cool.  I added a
comment to the Squeak FAQ on Mailing List Archives about this.

Now you can search for diffsWithPrettyPrint on Google, which does bring
up an email from the mailing list archives about it.  (I could have
sworn it was discussed on the list more than once, though.)  So now you
can try to figure out why your previous searches on that topic didn't
yield any results. :-)

- Doug Way
   dway at riskmetrics.com