New Look Suggestion

Doug Way dway at riskmetrics.com
Mon Aug 27 03:41:11 UTC 2001

On Sunday, August 26, 2001, at 06:52 PM, Andreas Raab wrote:

> Je77,
>
>> I really like the alternate look. It's a great mixture of fun Squeak
>> coloring combined with black text on white background.

I agree that the new alternativeWindowLook generally looks pretty good,
for the things that it changes.  I'd vote that it should remain as the
default choice.  (By the way, shouldn't it go in the "windows"
preferences group, not the "browsing" group?  The browsing group has too
many items as it is.)

(Henrik Gedenryd and I were planning on working on a New Look awhile
ago, but we never actually got started on it, so it's probably good that
someone else is doing some actual work on it. :)  There are still some
additional improvements that could be made to the alternativeWindowLook,
I'd say... see our page at http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/newLook
for some ideas.)

>> The only thing
>> that makes me cringe is the scrollbars; they just don't fit
>> in. Here's a simple suggestion of how to make them fit in:
>>
>> 	Make the borderColor equal the PaneColor darker.
>
> I've tried a few versions but I didn't like any of those in particular.
> If
> you have some code that makes it look reasonably nice, I'd be happy to
> pick
> it up.

Yeah, the scrollbars are really starting to stick out now as "not quite
fitting in".

The black border around them is way too dark, and maybe they're a bit
too dark in general.  I would probably lighten them to look more like
the ones in Henrik's blue look. (see
http://www.lucs.lu.se/people/Henrik.Gedenryd/Squeak/scrollbar.jpg )

Maybe they wouldn't need to be lightened quite that much, but that's the
general idea.  The color of the scrollbar thumb could be a lighter
version of the window frame color, too.

Just some suggestions for whoever's thinking of working on this.  (If no
one does, I might try to work on it at some point when I have time. :) )

- Doug Way
   dway at riskmetrics.com