[newbie] my setup, updating

Doug Way dway at riskmetrics.com
Mon Aug 27 16:58:00 UTC 2001

Simon Michael wrote:

> John Hinsley <jhinsley at telinco.co.uk> writes:
> > What window manager are you using? I know that on a P333 with 128Mb
> > I can run Squeak at -memory 60m without getting into problems (any
> > more and it'll compete with KDE and whatever else I have running and
> > slow down!).
>
> KDE/kwin. It seems like X takes 30, konqueror takes 30, xemacs takes
> 20, and I'm always into swap. So memory is scarce (what's new).

Memory has gotten really cheap lately, though, so one really shouldn't have to suffer under scarce memory conditions.  E.g., I can order a 256MB DIMM for my Mac G4 for only $36 from chipmerchant.com.  My wife upgraded our home computer to 768MB RAM, which I thought was more than we need, but what the heck.

Memory may be more expensive in other countries, but I would still think it's relatively affordable, compared with the total cost of a computer.

- Doug Way
  dway at riskmetrics.com