Squeak Installer (was : no subject)

PhiHo Hoang phiho.hoang at home.com
Tue Aug 28 03:55:40 UTC 2001

Hi John,

> I talked to the Web Services group about this. Web services is a
> complex interface. Joseph work is focused on having a lightweight
> bootstrap image which would have a minimum socket interface with a
> minimal protocol which would allow you just to interchange requests
> and receive back data say byte codes from a compiler, or say an
> independent grammar or SIF which you compile.

    I think I didn't express myself clearly (I was so excited :-). Joseph
was talking about a light weight bootstrap image (an installer in Squeak ?)
and I was talking about building a custom made bootstrap image (using the
facilities available from a full blown Squeak, including a Web Server, on
one end and the native platform on the other end where the Squeak Installer
is running).

    So when I referred to Web Service I was thinking of leveraging the
facilities provided by the underlying platform, just like I am using WinInet
to download plugins (dll's) via http/ftp protocol (Is this facility widely
available on other platforms like Mac, Linux... ?).

    How far should we rely (or, not to rely) on the underlying platforms ?
For example, XML, SOAP will eventually be common comodity on all major
platforms, or not ?

    Anyway, the main thing Joseph pointed out was that we do not need a
compiler out of the Squeak image. Its service will be somehow made available
through a server. What remains to be seen is, what will that service provide
and how can one make use of it to build/grow an image.

    Thanks for spending your precious time trying to get an answer for my
question.

    Cheers,

    PhiHo