[Modules] From here to there

Les Tyrrell tyrrell at iserve11.lis.uiuc.edu
Tue Aug 28 06:59:31 UTC 2001

Well, the weekend didn't turn out to be so productive for me, so at this time I have no comments on this.
However, this evening I have made some progress on starting a few new tools.  More on that in a little while-
basicallly the idea is to construct tools to support the initial generation, modification, saving, and
resurrection of a modular partitioning of the Smalltalk system.  If you have these four things, plus something
that is watching what is going on behind your back as the regular tools change things, then it should be
possible to avoid the problem of having to re-generate the modular world from scratch every time you try
something new.

I'll try to get up to date on everything soon, though I'll be primarily focusing my attention on tools for
transformation and analysis of modular ( and non-modular ) systems.  I've been doing that for quite a while,
so this should be straightforward.

- les

> I would be especially interested at this point to hear from Les, Hans-Martin, and Joseph, regarding whether
such a target structure in the image could work reasonably with their existing bodies of code, or whether we
should be considering a different kernel or at least some changes to this one.