[ENH] Again with the Colored ScrollBars

Doug Way dway at riskmetrics.com
Tue Aug 28 16:30:51 UTC 2001

Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> On Mon, 27 Aug 2001, Jochen F. Rick wrote:
>
> > > I've tried a few versions but I didn't like any of those in particular. If
> > > you have some code that makes it look reasonably nice, I'd be happy to pick
> > > it up.
> >
> > Okay. I think it looks better with the attached code.
>
> I couldn't file that in at first, had to hand-edit it. But I like it - I
> changed the slider color to match the buttons, though ;-)

Alright, here's yet one more colored scrollbar submission for the list. (worked on this one last night)

Jochen's was good, but the main improvement I wanted to make over that was to lighten the scrollbar background quite a bit, so that you can see the buttons versus the background better.  So I added that to Jochen's changeset.

Then I decided to *really* fix things ;) and so I fixed the Color>>lighter/darker family of methods so that they work consistently and are reversible. (like the existing #dansDarker method)

The main problem with these methods was that the raised/inset border bevelling looked bad for very light or very dark colors, e.g. for light-colored bevelled morphs, the #lighter border would barely be lighter, but the #darker border would be a lot darker.  Now they always lighten/darken by the same amount, and are reversible so that "aColor lighter darker" should roughly equal "aColor", which was not true at all before.

(I also tweaked a method in SystemWindow to compensate for this color change, so that the window frames look about the same as they did before.  The rest of Squeak seems generally fine with this change, only a few subtle color differences (mostly improvements) here and there.)

Anyway, here's a screenshot of these new scrollbars.  I was torn between leaving the scrollbar "thumb" as gray or changing it as Bert did (see the second screenshot), but I left it gray.  I might like it a teeny bit more as gray, since it ought to stand out a bit, and it matches the gray selection highlighting, but either is okay with me.

Hopefully we can get some consensus on this... if we're going to bother changing the scrollbar look, we might as well get it right. :)

- Doug Way
  dway at riskmetrics.com