[Biosqueak] The germ of an idea

jhgillespie at ucdavis.edu jhgillespie at ucdavis.edu
Tue Aug 28 20:21:15 UTC 2001

John

I have been playing around with bioinformatics and squeak.  So far I
have a class heirarchy for dna, protein, and coding sequences with lots
of useful methods, mostly things like correction formulae, codon usage,
base frequencies, etc.  In addition, I have a class that parses the
Genbank flat file format and can produce sequences from a menu of the
documented features.  I have used this a bit for my own research, but am
now planning to teach a computational genetics course to our biology
undergrads using Squeak...so the pressure is on to turn all this into
something useful and fun.  Right now I can drop sequence morphs onto a
playfield and produce things like dot matrix plots and phylogenetic
trees, but visually it ain't much.  The speed issue hasn't been a
problem because I'm not trying to do anything very ambitious.  I ported
this stuff from my lisp code, where I used calls to C routines (like
clustal) to do hard calculations.  Perhaps something similar will solve
the speed problem with squeak.

If any of this sounds useful, I could package it up in its current
state.

John Gillespie
jhgillespie at ucdavis.edu