Squeak Installer (was : no subject)

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Tue Aug 28 22:05:00 UTC 2001

>     How far should we rely (or, not to rely) on the underlying platforms ?
>For example, XML, SOAP will eventually be common comodity on all major
>platforms, or not ?
>
>     Anyway, the main thing Joseph pointed out was that we do not need a
>compiler out of the Squeak image. Its service will be somehow made available
>through a server. What remains to be seen is, what will that service provide
>and how can one make use of it to build/grow an image.

Ok first I should clarify that a Squeak image without a compiler
would need a Squeak image with a compiler, or perhaps a VA with a
Squeak cross compiler (is there such a beast?).

The intent of using a light weight image is just an example, there is
nothing to prevent someone from using Web Services to serve up the
required information if they care to load the client into the
bootstrap system. I think the thought was to enable the ability to
start a squeak image from say 256K of  ROM, then have it talk to a
server somewhere to load the other MBs of code it needs into ram in
order to run. However if you've a MB of rom then you might use Web
Services. Other issues like security, authorization, signatures etc
play a role here which we're not addressing since in reality this is
a transportation issue and the problem Joseph is solving is the
ability to deal with Smalltalk code in a common format and the
installation of packages & modules,  how that arrives is from his
viewpoint unimportant (Ya to some it's a critical issue and I can
understand that)

Tomorrow here in Essen Joseph and I will attempt to show a squeak and
visualage or visualworks image automatically exchanging class updates
and packages in an unusual manner (Mmm Can't say anymore,  you'll all
need to come to the talk).