Finding Plugins: MPEG files not valid?

John.Maloney at disney.com John.Maloney at disney.com
Sat Dec 1 01:35:01 UTC 2001

Mark,

I've already sent you the MPEG plugin that I use. Here is a small MPEG
movie (pretty funny, by the way) you can use for testing. Try this:

  MPEGFile primFileValidMPEG: 'chimp.mpg'

If this returns true, then the module has loaded successfully. Remember,
the MPEG plugin must be in the same folder as whatever VM you are running.

To be certain that you are running a particular VM (if you have a lot of
VM's on your disk, as I do), you can create an alias for the VM and start
Squeak by dropping the image file onto that alias.

If the module is loaded, then:

  Smalltalk listLoadedModules

should return a list than includes:

  'Mpeg3Plugin 9 November 2000 (e)'

It's remotely possible that the module is not loading due to insufficient
C heap space. To reserve extra heap space, you can execute:

  Smalltalk extraVMMemory: 100000

then *save that image* and restart it. You have to restart because the C
memory reservation is done at image startup time, before the memory
has been given to Squeak.

And, in case you missed John Mac's message, note that the plugin is
sensitive to the case of the file name extension. It will reject a valid MPEG
file named "foo.MPG" but accept one named "foo.mpg".

If none of this works, please let us know what version of the Squeak VM and
of Mac OS you are using. But I'm hoping that the plugin was simply not in the
VM folder.

One more thing to try--can you load other external plugins, such as the JPEG
plugin?

	-- John