(no subject)

ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Sun Dec 2 08:00:39 UTC 2001

Hi James

I do not have the time to fully reply to your question.
In short, a class is a factory of objects. The class describes the structure
and behavior of the objects it produces. like a can factory machine produces
cans.

Every object will share the behavior and structure describe by the class BUT
each object will have its own private set of values.

I suggest you to read a book on Object-Oriented programming in Smalltalk.
There is for example:
http://brain.cs.uiuc.edu/VisualWorks/Joy+of+Smalltalk free and 700 pages ;)

The draft of the book of Mark Guzdial:
http://www.cc.gatech.edu/~mark.guzdial/drafts/

Then you can find my lecture at:
    http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~ducasse/WebPages/Teaching.html#smalltalk

There is also a lot of tutorial available at:
http://scgwiki.iam.unibe.ch:8080/SmalltalkWiki/25

Look at
http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak.1
you will find other tutorial.