An Ideal System Browser

Bijan Parsia bparsia at email.unc.edu
Sun Dec 2 21:00:17 UTC 2001

On Sun, 2 Dec 2001, Lex Spoon wrote:

> > Hmm. A quick dork reveals that I don't know much about bookmorphs, being
> > unable to drag a window into one :) or even resize it.
> >

> Hmm, I seem to be a broken record.  Well, I haven't posted this in a
> while, so here goes.

For the record, fix it :)

> In short, there's a preference for this -- systemWindowEmbedOK.  So you
> can turn that on and then embed windows all you like.

Ah right, I forgot.

>  However, I agree
> that windows should be regular morphs, too, and thus that this
> preference looks a little funny.

Nope, it's there for a good reason.

>  This preference is there for good
> reason,

See?

> though, which you'll probably discover if you turn it on!

Don't have to. I'm a philosopher and knew this *a priori* :)

> The awkwardness I'm hinting at is *accidentally* dropping windows into
> holders.  This gets annoying in a hurry!

Oh yeah, I remember getting very annoyed by that ;)

[snip]
> When I suggest this, some people expect that would just trade one
> annoyance for a new one: what happens when you *do* want to drop a big
> morph into a small holder?  This case is actually easily and quickly
> solvable in three ways, however.  Any 3 year old would come up with
> three good options:
>
> 	1. Squeeze the morph smaller.

Yick.

> 	2. Stretch the holder bigger.

Blargh.

> 	3. Force it.  (i.e., use the "embed" menu)

Eh...that doesn't seem like *force* to me. That's more like asking mom or
dad to do it for me.

By gum if I'm going to force it I want splinters to fly!

[snip]
> PS -- the next layer of windows-as-morphs fun begins when you try to
> make things like "activate" work when there are windows at different
> levels of embedding.  One tough case is a window embedded in another
> window -- the current logic doesn't let them both be active, and thus
> it's hard to type into the inner window!

Ouch!

Cheers,
Bijan Parsia.