3.2.1B2 Mac VM goes out for beta testing.

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Mon Dec 3 06:04:18 UTC 2001

For those that have expressed an interest I've shipped the mac VM as 3.2.1B2

Based on feedback I'll then ship a 'real' 3.2.1 production VM in a few days.
This will replace the Carbon VM, however this VM won't run under 9.x!
I'm not sure if this is a problem, but to solve it I would need to
migrate to CW 7.x.

However I've found OS-X 10.1.1 quite a nice system now and wonder, if
you are attempting to use OS-X do you need a carbon version that runs
under 9 and 10 since you shouldn't *ever* need to boot OS-9 and run
squeak, right?

For the curious I attempted to migrate the C code to use MPW's
libraries under CW 6 and use Apple's common C library. There is a
common C library for OS-9 and OS-10, it uses Carbon. However right
now an application using this library runs under 9, but crashs under
10. The usage of Apple C library was needed because CW 6 libraries
don't support 64bit file io (maybe CW 7 does). Of course if someone
could show me a MPW build with CW that uses the carbon library and
runs in both I'd be delighted to use it.