JPEG plugin stuff

Andrew P. Black black at iam.unibe.ch
Mon Dec 3 16:18:23 UTC 2001

I'm impatient to try out the new JPEG decoder, but I can't find a Mac
0S 9 version of the plugin.  It's not at
ftp://st.cs.uiuc.edu/Smalltalk/Squeak/plugins/mac/
for example, where I expected to find it.  Are my expectations wrong
-- others seem to be using this!  Where should I look for a
pre-compiled plug-in?

One thing that I wanted to look at with this new plugin was whether
it assumes that it's input was a disk file, or whether it could read
from any stream.  The Old MPEG plugin assumed a file, which made it
useless for our purposes: streaming video over the network.

As far as I can see, JPEGReadWriter2 read from an arbitrary Stream,
which is good.  But I'm a bit confused -- I thought that I had read
here recently that the plugin was case-sensitive in reading file
names ...  but this plug-in does not seem to read any file names.

	Andrew