Using MPEG in Browser Plugin: Windows vs. Mac Diffs

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Mon Dec 3 22:46:18 UTC 2001

>We're testing some code that plays MPEG movies from within the
>browser using the plugin.  It works great as-is with Windows, but
>we're having a hard time getting it to work with Macs.
>- Our Windows tester doesn't remember putting the MPEG plugin
>anywhere.  Does the Windows plugin VM have MPEG built-in?
>- Where should we put the MPEG plugin for the Macintosh browser
>plugin?  I assumed in the NPSqueak directory (i.e., "same directory
>as the VM"), but maybe it should be in the Netscape plugins
>directory?
>
>Thanks!
>  Mark
>--------------------------
>Mark Guzdial : Georgia Tech : College of Computing : Atlanta, GA 30332-0280
>Associate Professor - Learning Sciences & Technologies.
>Collaborative Software Lab - http://coweb.cc.gatech.edu/csl/
>(404) 894-5618 : Fax (404) 894-0673 : guzdial at cc.gatech.edu
>http://www.cc.gatech.edu/gvu/people/Faculty/Mark.Guzdial.html

It's a Squeak plugin versus a netscape plugin so it needs to go into the
System Folder:Preferences:Squeak:Plugins folder which may or may not
exist in the machine.

You'll note this is NOT the same location as putting it into
System Folder:Preferences:Squeak:Internet: where the VM and image
live. The reason for this is because there is mostly write access to
System Folder: Preferences:Squeak:Internet: and one wouldn't want to
make it easy to drop plugins there and run them using smalltalk
script.

However I must say I've not look at this area for a year or so, so
I'll let you test.

I wasn't aware that the MPEG3 plugin was internal on windows, maybe
the dll loader code just hunts down the DLL and loads it (it is
windows after all).