An Ideal System Browser

Bert Freudenberg bert at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de
Thu Dec 6 11:21:08 UTC 2001

On Wed, 5 Dec 2001, Lex Spoon wrote:

> > For what it's worth, I notice that the Mac UI deals with drag & drop by
> > making the dragged item either transparent or translucent, so that you
> > can see the item underneath that you might place it in.
> >
> > Also, the accepting item is highlighted when passed over.  (I guess
> > Squeak already does this in some cases such as when dragging methods
> > into new categories.)
>
> That combination might work well.  Squeak will highlight projects you
> are about to drop into, but it doesn't always help very much because
> project windows are so small -- you often can't see the highlight!
> With translucency, you could see the highlight.

Alternatively, the highlights could be drawn in an overlay plane (just
like the HandMorph - maybe even the Hand itself should draw the
highlighting ... yes, it should, considering multiple hands ... thinking
aloud here). Then the dragged morph wouldn't have to be translucent, but
other styles may be used (like the attached screenshot from Galeon).

-- Bert