Problem

Dan Ingalls Dan at SqueakLand.org
Fri Dec 7 03:17:02 UTC 2001

Benoit St-Jean <bstjean at yahoo.com> lamented...

>Is there any way to do the following :
>
>1)Start an image from a text file script.
>2)File in a class definition and **overwrite** an
>existing class definition
>3)Re-initialize the environment.
>
>In a few words, I need to (ahem!) *fix* my image
>(obviously I have no backup!) because I broke
>something in class Color so the display is...  You
>kinda see!
>
>In the worst case, is there any way to retrieve the
>changes from the .changes file from another image ?

Hopefully others will chime in here, but ...

1.  There USED to be a mechanism that read in a .so file if present to do exactly this kind of thing.  It was in the method readDocumentFile, but I now find there only the comment
	"No longer used. Everything is now done in ProjectLauncher."
So I think PL might be useful if you can get some help on how to do what you want (Michael...?).

2.  In a FileList, select the .changes file, and use 'all operations...' / 'browse changes'.  Since I have been through exactly this exercise several times before, it will tell you "the changes file is huge, and would you like to just see the last million characters in a change list?"  This should take you a long way toward recovery if necessary.

Hope this helps

	- Dan