Interval translator (was: Re: Sharp Zaurus SL-5000D Linux (Squeak?) PDA)

Travis Griggs tgriggs at keyww.com
Fri Dec 7 18:27:27 UTC 2001

Ned Konz wrote:

> On Friday 07 December 2001 08:56 am, Travis Griggs wrote:
>

>>In a way, I think that's too bad. I'm trying to remember the last time
>>in 10 years I actually took advantage of xplatform image portability. I
>>can remember two cases. I've done it many more times than that, but
>>usually just for a "isn't that cool" grin.
>>

> I spent 5 years or so doing embedded systems in Smalltalk where we'd develop
> a program in VisualWorks on x86/Windows machines and move the image unchanged
> to the target machines, which were running under vxWorks and could have any
> processor we wanted.
>
> It was essential to us to be able to do this.
>
> In Squeak I do this for developing programs for my WinCE device, which runs
> really slowly and has a tiny screen.
>
> You've just got to get out of the desktop/server paradigm...

I'm not necesarily disputing the value of xplatform portability. I think
its great that VW and Squeak both do it, and recognize that there are
people who derive more value that I do from it. I'm not quite sure what
you mean with this last statement; or rather how it applies?

--
Travis Griggs
Member: 3rd Boolean State Software Collective