[updates] 20 for 3.2alpha

Scott Wallace scott.wallace at squeakland.org
Sat Dec 8 10:38:10 UTC 2001

I agree with Doug that the reasonable solution here is to have both:
to have esc bring up the local context menu, as per Daniel, *and* to
have a variant -- control-esc is what I propose -- that always
directly brings up the world menu.

Daniel's update plus one other are now in the internal 3.2a update
stream that now do that.  If anyone knows a reason why using the
control-esc combination is a bad idea on some platform, please let me
know right away so I can rescind this before it escapes captivity.

   -- Scott

PS:  It is also rather tempting to extend this mechanism beyond
windows, to the community of morphs generally.  Supposing that when
nobody has the keyboard focus but the cursor is over some morph, the
hitting of esc would bring up the halo menu for that morph, ready for
your further keyboard directives, thus providing a one-touch way to
start directly conversing with any object you can place the cursor
over.  Hmm.