Simple query

malicorne malicorne at t-online.de
Sat Dec 8 21:23:05 UTC 2001

Hello everyone,

  I'm very new to Squeak and Smalltalk.  Very.  I found Squeak during a
web search on patterns.  I'm quite surprised by the quality of the
offering.  So much that I bought Mark Guzdial's book on Squeak,
"Object-Oriented Design with Multimedia Applications" that I follow page
by page in order to become at ease with the environment.

  Pardon me if this kind of query does not belong here.  If so, please
tell me where I could get an answer to the following.

  The very first example in the book creates a simple class with some
simple methods.  The problem I have is that Squeak won't accept the simple
following code, the "Nothing more expected" being the Squeak error message
after Accept in the Browser :

greeting
"Return a predefined greeting"
 Nothing more expected -> ^'HALLO !'

  The caret character is actually an arrow pointing up.  This is what I
obtain when I press the caret key on my German keyboard.  In emacs it
yields a normal caret liek above.  The environment is MVC and it is
Squeak 3.0.  Linux as per Mandrake 8.0.  The "Nothing more expected"
error message just don't  tell me anything.  I do not know what it could
mean.

  Anyone know what I'm talking about ?  What is to be done ?

Alain