gcc for ppc code quality

Marcel Weiher marcel at metaobject.com
Wed Dec 12 11:30:51 UTC 2001

On Sonntag, Dezember 9, 2001, at 11:29  Uhr, John M McIntosh wrote:

> I'll second that, I wrote some to test file primitives. In case the mac
> users are wondering I've been playing with long name support and large
> files using the features of HFS+. However the GCC compiler produces
> lousy code, it's 1/3 the performance of CodeWarrior code.

Just a note that John and I have in the meantime determined that this is
not the case, the problems seem to be elsewhere.  Both the Micro- and
Macro-Benchmarks indicate that code quality is very close, with some
benchmarks indicating an advantage for gcc and some for CW.

Marcel

--
Marcel Weiher				Metaobject Software Technologies
marcel at metaobject.com		www.metaobject.com