What kind of MPEG files are acceptable?

John Hinsley jhinsley at telinco.co.uk
Wed Dec 12 18:34:00 UTC 2001

Leo Burd wrote:

> Folks,
>
> What kind of MPEG files can be opened in Squeak?  For some reason, some of the
> movies that play well by Windows are not recognized as movies when I opened
> them in Squeak...  Is there anything special about the way those movies have
> to be created?  We're using Media Cleaner Pro to produce them... Any leads?

One thing to look for is the suffix. Squeak likes mpeg or mpg, but not
MPG or MPEG.

The plugin uses libmpeg3, so I'd expect that stuff built using later
libraries (or maybe proprietary extensions) won't work. It's possible
that there may also be issues with compression.

Other than that, I can only confirm that some will run, others will lock
up Squeak.

HTH a little

Cheers

John

--
Reputed to be the reason Windows 2000 was nearly a year late, (paid in
shares M$Ds needed the cash and kudos) Netproject's Eddie Bleasdale has

http://www.silicon.com/bin/bladerunner?30REQEVENT=&REQAUTH=21046&14001REQSUB=REQINT1=48211