What kind of MPEG files are acceptable?

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Wed Dec 12 20:56:15 UTC 2001

>Leo Burd wrote:
>>
>>  Folks,
>>
>>  What kind of MPEG files can be opened in Squeak?  For some reason,
>>some of the
>>  movies that play well by Windows are not recognized as movies when I opened
>>  them in Squeak...  Is there anything special about the way those movies have
>>  to be created?  We're using Media Cleaner Pro to produce them... Any leads?
>

>One thing to look for is the suffix. Squeak likes mpeg or mpg, but not
>MPG or MPEG.
>
>The plugin uses libmpeg3, so I'd expect that stuff built using later
>libraries (or maybe proprietary extensions) won't work. It's possible
>that there may also be issues with compression.

The issue with file extension has been fixed and a shinny new mpeg
plugin 1.2 was posted for the mac. Look here  (
http://www.smalltalkconsulting.com/html/mpeg3source.html ) for
pointers to the source and the plugin

Mmm I'm not sure if V1.1 ever got compiled for windows & linux? That
had significance performance improvements because of source code
changes.

If you have videos that won't play or hang up well we do have all the
source code available so it *might* be fixable.