back to memcpy eh?

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Fri Dec 14 02:48:02 UTC 2001

Well I was think since we are busy doing interpreter tuning that we
should visit the area of memcpy and bset again...

When I was looking at what's happening in the interpreter many moons
ago what Smallltalk really does is move objects around and zero
chunks of storage (or set it to nilObj) for use as Objects again.

Right now we use just some very basic SLANG which produces rather
basic C code. But I'm back to suggesting we examine those two areas
and use bcopy and bzero for this. Many platforms have fairly well
optimized OS routines for this.

Or use Duff's Device for example.

http://www.lysator.liu.se/c/duffs-device.html

Mind we want to work with longs and have say 16 moves/assignments or 32?